Sunday, January 17, 2010

My First Attempt at All Grain Brewing

This is sort of a video blog so to speak of my first attempt at home brewing an All Grain. This All Grain is called Screaming Viking Ale and I got the recipe off of Tastybrew.com. It is along the lines of a Blonde Ale with a bit of a hop to it.



I cut a large portion of that clip down because I tend to ramble at times. These next clips are as I was going through the brewing process and watching football at the same time. I started to do sort of a instructional version but as I was going through these I realized that I do not know near enough to tell anyone how to do this. So I would rather tell you all what I did wrong and then maybe someone can learn from my mistakes.


So now I have all my wort collected from the mash tun and I'm starting the brewing process. Yes I'm doing this inside my basement, but I do have the door open so any fumes that might be present are venting out the door.



The brew is up to the boil now and the flavoring hops are added. Make sure you pay attention here because it will boil over and make a mess if your not careful.


Time to add the last of the hops and finish out the boil.



Now that the boil is finished it's time to cool the wort down with the wort chiller I made.



Now that the wort is chilled down now I can transfer it over into the Primary Fermenting Bucket.



The wort has been put in the Primary and the Yeast has been added. The lid is snapped on and the blow off tube is hooked up. The Primary now sits covered up for 7 days and then is transferred into a Secondary Fermenter. The Secondary allows the beer to clear out by allowing what ever yeast and fermentables to just fall to the bottom of the container. I will let it sit in the Secodary for 2 weeks at which time I'll transfer over to the keg. When I get to that stage I'll video that and post.

No comments:

Post a Comment